Town of Alabama
The Town of Alabama has a population of 1,869 (2010 US Census), is located on the north-western border of Genesee County and is centrally located between Buffalo and Rochester.
The Town is comprised of approximately 28,480 acres, of which 14,503 acres are not taxable. Various wildlife preserves occupy much of the Town’s land. In addition, the Seneca Nation occupies approximately 5,700 acres within the Town’s borders.
From the Town Historian:
In the early part of the 19th century, as the inhabitants of Western New York increased, towns were established when the population was deemed sufficient to have a tax base that would support said town. Often established towns were divided to create a new town, such was the case with the town of Alabama.
David Gary, Benjamin Gumaer and John Wolcott were instrumental in requesting the State Legislature to enact legislation to establish a town per their suggested boundaries. The group suggested the town be named Norway, but as there was already a town in New York of that name it was decided to name the town Garysville in honor of David Gary.
On April 17, 1826 the legislature enacted an act establishing a town by the name of Gerrysville. How or why the name was mistakenly changed is not known. The town was created from the towns of Shelby and Pembroke. In 1828 the name was changed to the present Alabama. The northern section of the town is in the Holland Land Purchase tract while the southern portion is in the Tonawanda Reservation Tract. Township 13, Range 3 and 4 in the survey system. The town’s southern border was changed in 1857 due to disputed property lines.